Golden Bay – Certified Builder, Frank Byrne has gone bush for a time, having won the tender to undertake the D.O.C. Heaphy Great Walk Hut Replacement Project; Frank has been been working with Takaka ITM staff to organise all materials to the remote site.
With only helicopter access to the building site all equipment, materials, manpower, food, storage sheds, etc had to be organised ready for airlifting by helicopter on the day from Brown River Helipad – approx. 15 minutes flying time roundtrip, to the Perry Saddle site.
- commenced on site 7th February 2012
- approx 40 tonnes lifted on the day in 48 flights
- Perry Saddle Staff Hut: 44 sqm
- Perry Saddle Trampers Hut: 150 sqm plus 100 sqm decking
- workforce of 4, doing 10 days on & 4 days home
- project completion expected end of May 2012
- June will see the commencement of the Heaphy River Hut 170sqm plus 100sqm decking
- all airlifting services provided by Helicharter Karamea, Helicharter Nelson, & Reid-Heslop Helicopters Nelson
Many thanks to the staff at Takaka ITM Building Centre, who went over & above their call of duty to get the huge list of gear sorted, weighed, packed & on site in good time.